Inclusive Practice Service
As Wales moves forward with implementing the new ALN code, the Inclusive Practice Service will be focussing on supporting schools with their universal provision for all pupils working towards inclusive settings
We will work to :
- Provide advice and support for staff working with learners who have a range of ALN
- To support schools in managing the process of inclusion.
- Provide advice, training and support on assessment for learners with complex ALN.
- Provide advice, training and support on social and emotional wellbeing and behaviour for learners with ALN.
- Support schools in the identification, assessment and review of the additional needs of children and young people, providing advice, training and support on appropriate provision, guidance and support
- To support schools in the early identification and intervention for children with additional needs
- Provide advice on planning appropriate interventions, training and support to implement them.
- Equip school staff with the skills to observe learners with ALN in teaching and learning situations to support person centred planning for these learners.
- Support the professional development of teachers, teaching assistants and ancillary staff in individual settings or clusters thus building the capacity of schools to meet the diverse needs of learners with ALN.
- Provide bespoke training for schools where needs are identified.
Some of the ways in which we are able to offer support are:
- Whole class/setting support and implementation of strategies – such as ASD friendly strategies, ASD friendly classroom setups, visual support in the classroom, set up and use of workstation areas, behavioural support strategies, sensory additions to the curriculum.
- A monthly online Microsoft Teams training session will be running to cover some of the above strategies
- Whole class/school support can be delivered on the above if it is of benefit to the school – this can be in twilights or INSET days.
- Visits to specialist settings such as Pen y Cwm to see how some of the suggested strategies work in the classroom environment.